OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I’ll show you my Corn Dogs recipe. Corn Dogs are a great finger food, perfect when guests are coming or a children’s birthday party is coming up.
Serve the Corn Dogs just as a first course at the barbecue. The sausages in the corn dough can be easily prepared and kept warm in the oven. You can also briefly place the fried sausages on the grill in the batter and conjure up a light smoky aroma.
The dough-coated sausages are a well-known dish from the USA. In detail they are Corn Dogs sausages in a corn dough casing, fried in hot fat. The batter is a variation of our traditional wine or beer batter as we know it for baked vegetables.
Here are my tips for perfect Corn Dogs and the recipe with many step by step photos. Questions I answer via the comment function, wish you good luck!
1. Which Sausages to use for Corn Dogs?
I have prepared my Corn Dogs with Frankfurter sausages or Viennese sausages.
You could also bake a Nurnberger sausage, a veal sausage or even raw sausages in a dough coat
Try vegetarian sausages, they taste just as delicious!
The thinner the sausage, the better, thick sausages have to swim too long in the deep fryer.
2. Corn Dog Dough, what’s important?
The corn dog dough needs volume and the dough gets that from egg and baking powder.
The baking powder causes the dough to rise in the hot fat during frying, giving it an airy appearance.
Sweet paprika brings a gentle, sharp spice to the dough.
I always add some sugar to the dough, so the baked dough gets a light, wonderful caramel aroma.
3. Which Sauces fit with Corn Dogs
For children you serve the Corn Dogs best with tomato ketchup.
We have tried mustard sweet, mustard hot, chili sauce and sweet and sour sauce with the Corn Dogs, in addition a…
Sour cream sauce: Mix a cup of sour cream with 3 pinches of salt, 3 pinches of pepper and 1 tbsp lemon juice.
Onion honey mustard sauce: 100 g Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon honey and 1 piece onion diced mix well.
Tastes delicious and is children’s birthday party – suitable!
4. Recipe Corn Dogs
Below you will find the preparation of the Corn Dogs with step by step photos.
As a supplement to the Corn Dogs I recommend a homemade cabbage salad.
Wish you good luck!
- 4 pc Vienna sausages or Bernese sausages
- 8 pc skewers
- 100 g flour
- 150 g cornflour
- 1 pc egg
- 200 - 220 ml milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp bell pepper red
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 4 pinches Cayenne pepper
- 800 g sun flower oil
- For the preparation of the Corn Dogs prepare a dough line: Prepare the dough: Mix wheat flour, corn flour, egg, milk, salt, baking powder, sweet paprika, sugar and cayenne pepper to a creamy, firm batter. Cut the sausages in half in the middle, prepare shashlik skewers and flour in an extra bowl.
- Put the sausages on the wooden skewers.
- Turn the sausages in flour on wooden skewers.
- You can turn over all the sausages in flour.
- Dip the sausages turned in flour into the prepared pastry.
- Coat the sausages evenly with the dough. The dough is held in place by the sausages because they were first turned in the flour.
- Heat the sunflower oil in a saucepan or deep fryer to 170°C and put the sausages covered with dough into the hot fat quickly and individually.
- Fry the corn dogs evenly and turn them.
- Drain the golden-yellow baked corn dogs in the basket of the deep fryer.
- Arrange the corn dogs, sausages in the corn dough coat with ketchup and other cold sauces.
5. Calories Corn Dogs, the nutritional Values at a Glance
6. Other Recipes with SausagesRecipe Currywurst with Fries
Sausage in Puff Pastry Recipe
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- American Recipes
- Barbecue Recipes
- Breakfast & Brunch
- Meat Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German