My Recipe Kalter Hund – Cold Dog, German Cookie Cake, I present to you in this post. The chocolate biscuit cake usually appears on children’s birthday parties.
It is a chocolate cake with coconut fat and the preparation goes without baking!
The biscuit cake “Kalter Hund” has many names: Lucullus, Cold Snout, Black Peter and Black Dog, for example, are common.
I know this cake prepared with butter biscuits and a cocoa coconut fat cream. Here you can get creative and try different kinds of cookies.
Invent a new cold dog family recipe! For the chocolate cream, I chose real chocolate. In the past, the cake was usually prepared with cocoa because the chocolate was too expensive.
The simple chocolate cake is even a good idea for Christmas: Try cold dog with specula, instead of butter cookies, refine the coconut chocolate mass with cinnamon and gingerbread spice.
To prepare the chocolate cream, use a commercially available coconut fat that remains firm at room temperature. Wish you good luck!
1. Cold dog, more Ideas for the Biscuit Cake
For the cold dog preparation you can use the following biscuits well…
- Butter cookies
- Italian almond biscuits, cantuccini
- Light and dark cookies
- Gingerbread without wafers
- English tea biscuits
- Gluten-free biscuits
You can increase your taste wonder even more by dipping the biscuits in cold espresso before soaking them. Just try it, it tastes delicious!
2. Recipe Cold Dog
Below you will find my recipe with step by step photos. The biscuit cake is prepared quite nimbly, the fast cake is suitable super to “bake” with children.
Let the biscuit cake cool in the fridge for at least 4 hours. To cut the biscuit cake an electric knife has proved itself!
Decoration tips for the cold dog:
Decorate the cake after the fall with Smarties, chocolate eggs or chocolate chips.
- 150 g cream
- 2 Päckchen vanilla sugar
- 150 g dark chocolate
- 150 g Milk chocolate
- 200 g coconut fat
- 250 g butter biscuits
- I use a box mould or a tureen mould for cold dogs. So that the cake is easy to fall out of the mould, I brush the mould with a little oil and insert cling film.
- Cut the chocolate/couver coating into small pieces with a knife, so you can melt the chocolate faster and more evenly.
- Bring the cream and vanilla sugar to the boil and reduce by half. Add the finely chopped chocolate and mix it standing next to the stove. Add the coconut fat to a smooth chocolate cream. Use a bowl with water bath for preparation, with a little practice you can also melt it in a pot at low temperature. The chocolate mass must not get hot!
- Pour the melted chocolate mixture into the prepared mould about the thickness of a finger.
- Put in the first butter cookies. Then chill the tin for 15 minutes. Pour in the chocolate mixture again and place the biscuits in it and chill for 15 minutes.
- Gradually pour in the chocolate mixture and biscuits and chill again and again until the box mould is filled.
- Pour the last layer of chocolate mixture into the mould and leave the biscuit cake to cool for several hours.
- Let the biscuit cake "Cold Dog" cool for at least four hours in the fridge, then turn it over and serve it cut into slices.