Prepare Cauliflower Casserole as vegetarian Lasagne, Recipe with many Tips
from Thomas Sixt
Hi, I am a German Chef and Food Photographer. The imparting of cooking knowledge is my great passion. Everyone can cook for himself and with this website I would like to contribute to its success. Cooking questions I answer you gladly at the end of the articles. Have fun and good luck!
Pork and Co are full of power, because we both eat cauliflower!Did you know that the blossom vegetables are also called cauliflower, cheese cabbage, blossom cabbage, grape cabbage, minaret cabbage or Italian cabbage? Cauliflower is often cooked around the world. White cabbage is one of the top 10 most popular vegetables. Especially in Asia, cauliflower is in great demand. This is not without reason: the cabbage as a whole already looks like a fresh painting. The cabbage is easy to clean and ingeniously simple to prepare. The best thing is that the cabbage is so versatile. You can integrate it into many dishes or make it the protagonist of a dish. In the following I will show you my great recipe with a casserole variant that you may not yet know. So let’s go to the kitchen and just get started. Have fun with it! The classic variant of lasagne with minced meat is introduced to you elsewhere. © Thomas Sixt Food Photographer
Table of Contents
1. Cauliflower in Lasagne – that’s possible!The blossom vegetables in their fresh full splendour make my photographer’s heart beat faster! © Thomas Sixt Food Photographer Vegetarian casseroles are exciting and multi-faceted. You can vary and combine the vegetable ingredient great. I especially like the cauliflower!
The cauliflower is a stable vegetable and succeeds with the right cooking time – Aha, it depends! – to 100%.
2. What you should know about cauliflowerI have thought about the most common uses of cauliflower to write down for you…
- The cabbage likes to bathe in cream or milk – soy cream also works wonderfully
- The white cabbage likes cheese, e.g. a spicy mountain cheese from Switzerland or Austria.
- Our pampered and popular green, well rather white stuff likes spices like nutmeg or – Attention Asia – curry.
- Our blossom vegetables also like to jump into the wok for Chinese cuisine
- Nuts, almonds and other grain crumbs are great to topping or as a supplement.
You can fry, bake, blanch, cook and even grill cauliflower.
3. This is how the Cauliflower Casserole is made vegetarianNow I’ll give you some professional cooking tips to make it easier for you in the kitchen!
3.1 List of IngredientsHere for shopping the simple overview…
- lasagne sheets
- fresh cauliflower
- for béchamel sauce
- milk or cream
- white wine
- spices like laurel, pimento, nutmeg and pepper, salt
- spicy cheese
- salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, some curry
3.2 Chef’s tips to make the Casserole a successEverything in turn…
- Prepare the béchamel sauce for the casserole first.
- I preheat the oven at 200° C circulating air heat.
- Then take care of the cauliflower. It is cut into florets according to my recipe and then coarsely grated. Therefore you should not exaggerate the cooking time.
- As a crispy addition, chopped walnuts are added to the casserole. Thus we extend our taste palette with the court around the variant “nutty sweetly”. You will like that 😉
- A finely grated good spicy cheese – finger away from sliced cheese! – covers our casserole before it goes into the oven.
Grated cauliflower reduces the cooking time by half!To test the degree of cooking, I usually prick my casserole after 15 minutes with a wooden stick.
3.3 Chef Tips for Preparing the Béchamel SauceThe exact preparation of the white sauce I show you below in Steps with many photos. Just so much for the ingredients in advance: My béchamel sauce consists of onions or shallots (finer in taste), bay leaf and peppercorns, butter, flour, dry white wine, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg. The classic béchamel sauce at the base. © Thomas Sixt Food Photographer
4. Click here for the RecipeI think we both make a great team in the kitchen! The following instructions with all steps and many pictures will help you to cook yourself. I wish you a lot of fun, write me a comment, I always find cooking questions exciting and am happy to answer them!
Chef Thomas Sixt shows you how to prepare the vegetarian pasta gratin step by step and gives you tips on the subject of cauliflower.
|1||pc||cauliflower (a head of fresh cauliflower)|
|80||g||walnuts (coarsely chopped)|
|2||tbs||Flour (I sieve the flour freshly)|
|1||cl||dry white wine|
|1||tsp||Salt (I use Himalayan salt)|
|etwas||black ground pepper (freshly-ground)|
|200||g||spicy cheese (I like to take mountain cheese from Switzerland or Austria)|
Preheat the oven to 200° C.
Cut a medium-sized onion into small cubes.
Heat up the pan, then add the onion cubes, butter, bay leaves and allspice and sauté.
Sweat the onion cubes until translucent and add the flour. Sweat the flour briefly.
Deglaze with the white wine and bring to the boil.
Add the cold milk while stirring constantly and bring to the boil again. Flavour with salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
Put some béchamel sauce on a cold plate and check the binding of the sauce.
Prepare cauliflower and nuts
Preheat the oven to 200° C. Wash the cauliflower well and pat dry. Remove the green leaves and stalk from the cauliflower head. Cut out tennis ball sized florets from the cauliflower.
Grate the cauliflower pieces with a coarse grater.
Put the grated cauliflower aside and heat a pan with some oil.
Brown the grated cauliflower briefly.
Chop walnuts with a large knife or crush them coarsely in a mortar.
The filling of the oven dish can begin. Cover the bottom of the casserole dish with béchamel sauce.
Place lasagne plates on the béchamel sauce. You can easily break the pasta plates, so you can also insert them at the corners to fit.
Put some cauliflower crumbs and some walnut pieces on the plates.
Sprinkle the pasta plates with the cauliflower and walnuts with some spoons of the white sauce. Repeatedly build new layers of cauliflower grated walnuts and white sauce until the top of the baking dish is reached.
Finally, add Béchamel sauce to the last cover plate. Sprinkle with plenty of grated spicy mountain cheese so that the casserole is covered.
Place the casserole in the preheated oven and bake for approx. 30 minutes at 175° C until done. Enjoy your meal!