OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Here I show you my Cauliflower Casserole recipe, which comes in Italian variant as a vegetarian lasagna.
Pork and Co are full of power, because we both eat cauliflower!
Did you know that the blossom vegetables are also called cauliflower, cheese cabbage, blossom cabbage, grape cabbage, minaret cabbage or Italian cabbage?
Cauliflower is often cooked around the world. White cabbage is one of the top 10 most popular vegetables. Especially in Asia, cauliflower is in great demand.
This is not without reason: the cabbage as a whole already looks like a fresh painting. The cabbage is easy to clean and ingeniously simple to prepare.
The best thing is that the cabbage is so versatile. You can integrate it into many dishes or make it the protagonist of a dish.
In the following I will show you my great recipe with a casserole variant that you may not yet know.
So let’s go to the kitchen and just get started. Have fun with it!
- 1. Cauliflower in Lasagne – that’s possible!
- 2. What you should know about cauliflower
- 3. This is how the Cauliflower Casserole is made vegetarian
- 4. Click here for the Recipe
- 5. Calories and Nutritional Values to this Dish
- 6. More ideas for cooking yourself
1. Cauliflower in Lasagne – that’s possible!
Vegetarian casseroles are exciting and multi-faceted. You can vary and combine the vegetable ingredient great. I especially like the cauliflower!
The cauliflower is a stable vegetable and succeeds with the right cooking time – Aha, it depends! – to 100%.
2. What you should know about cauliflower
I have thought about the most common uses of cauliflower to write down for you…
- The cabbage likes to bathe in cream or milk – soy cream also works wonderfully
- The white cabbage likes cheese, e.g. a spicy mountain cheese from Switzerland or Austria.
- Our pampered and popular green, well rather white stuff likes spices like nutmeg or – Attention Asia – curry.
- Our blossom vegetables also like to jump into the wok for Chinese cuisine
- Nuts, almonds and other grain crumbs are great to topping or as a supplement.
In unpleasant childhood memories, the cauliflower came cooked, “pardon”, overcooked on the table and had the firmness of liquid butter. No, we don’t want that! We treat the cabbage at eye level and don’t do this to it, please!
You can fry, bake, blanch, cook and even grill cauliflower.
3. This is how the Cauliflower Casserole is made vegetarian
Now I’ll give you some professional cooking tips to make it easier for you in the kitchen!
3.1 List of Ingredients
Here for shopping the simple overview…
- lasagne sheets
- fresh cauliflower
- for béchamel sauce
- milk or cream
- white wine
- spices like laurel, pimento, nutmeg and pepper, salt
- spicy cheese
- salt, pepper, nutmeg, cayenne pepper, some curry
3.2 Chef’s tips to make the Casserole a success
Everything in turn…
- Prepare the béchamel sauce for the casserole first.
- I preheat the oven at 200° C circulating air heat.
- Then take care of the cauliflower. It is cut into florets according to my recipe and then coarsely grated. Therefore you should not exaggerate the cooking time.
- As a crispy addition, chopped walnuts are added to the casserole. Thus we extend our taste palette with the court around the variant “nutty sweetly”. You will like that 😉
- A finely grated good spicy cheese – finger away from sliced cheese! – covers our casserole before it goes into the oven.
Reduce the oven temperature to 175° C immediately after inserting the lasagne and bake until the pasta plates are soft.
Grated cauliflower reduces the cooking time by half!
To test the degree of cooking, I usually prick my casserole after 15 minutes with a wooden stick.
3.3 Chef Tips for Preparing the Béchamel Sauce
The exact preparation of the white sauce I show you below in Steps with many photos.
Just so much for the ingredients in advance:
My béchamel sauce consists of onions or shallots (finer in taste), bay leaf and peppercorns, butter, flour, dry white wine, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
4. Click here for the Recipe
I think we both make a great team in the kitchen! The following instructions with all steps and many pictures will help you to cook yourself.
I wish you a lot of fun, write me a comment, I always find cooking questions exciting and am happy to answer them!
- 1 pc cauliflower a head of fresh cauliflower
- 250 g lasagne sheets
- 80 g walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1 l milk
- 70 g Butter
- 2 tbs flour I sieve the flour freshly
- 1 cl dry white wine
- 1 tsp salt I use Himalayan salt
- etwas black ground pepper freshly-ground
- etwas nutmeg freshly-ground
- 2 leafs bayleaf
- 2 corns pimento
- 200 g spicy cheese I like to take mountain cheese from Switzerland or Austria
- Preheat the oven to 200° C. Cut a medium-sized onion into small cubes.
- Heat up the pan, then add the onion cubes, butter, bay leaves and allspice and sauté.
- Sweat the onion cubes until translucent and add the flour. Sweat the flour briefly.
- Deglaze with the white wine and bring to the boil.
- Add the cold milk while stirring constantly and bring to the boil again. Flavour with salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
- Put some béchamel sauce on a cold plate and check the binding of the sauce.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C. Wash the cauliflower well and pat dry. Remove the green leaves and stalk from the cauliflower head. Cut out tennis ball sized florets from the cauliflower.
- Grate the cauliflower pieces with a coarse grater.
- Put the grated cauliflower aside and heat a pan with some oil.
- Brown the grated cauliflower briefly.
- Chop walnuts with a large knife or crush them coarsely in a mortar.
- The filling of the oven dish can begin. Cover the bottom of the casserole dish with béchamel sauce.
- Place lasagne plates on the béchamel sauce. You can easily break the pasta plates, so you can also insert them at the corners to fit.
- Put some cauliflower crumbs and some walnut pieces on the plates.
- Sprinkle the pasta plates with the cauliflower and walnuts with some spoons of the white sauce. Repeatedly build new layers of cauliflower grated walnuts and white sauce until the top of the baking dish is reached.
- Finally, add Béchamel sauce to the last cover plate. Sprinkle with plenty of grated spicy mountain cheese so that the casserole is covered.
- Place the casserole in the preheated oven and bake for approx. 30 minutes at 175° C until done. Enjoy your meal!
5. Calories and Nutritional Values to this Dish
6. More ideas for cooking yourselfLasagne classic
Simple veggie lasagne
How to Cook Cauliflower
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Casserole Recipes
- Current and New Recipes
- Main Courses Recipes
- Pasta & Noodles Recipes
- Vegetarian Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German