OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I present you my recipe Carpaccio. Carpaccio with fillet of beef? Vegetarian carpaccio? In this article I will show you relevant variations of this classic Italian starter.
Carpaccio of beef fillet was first served in Harry´s Bar in Venice in 1950. Find here all important tips for carpaccio preparation, ideas for dressing the carpaccio and discover vegetarian carpaccio variant. Have fun and good luck!
1. Interesting facts about the Carpaccio
Carpaccio is a well-known Italian classic appetizer. Carpaccio consists of wafer-thin beef slices marinated with lemon juice, salt and black pepper.
For carpaccio please use Fleur de Sel, the salt flower harmonises perfectly with this starter!
Gourmets know: Real carpaccio is prepared from fillet of beef. The classic is served with rocket salad, balsamic dressing and grated parmesan.
“Carpacio di manzo” is the Italian translation for beef carpaccio.
Vegetarian and vegan carpaccio varieties can be prepared with vegetables and fruit. The wafer-thin slicing of the ingredients brings out the finest aromas.
2. Prepare carpaccio of fillet of beef step by step
- Have fillet of beef sliced thinly at the butcher’s
- Let the fillet of beef clean, wrap in foil and freeze for one hour, then cut thin slices of fillet of beef on a slicing machine or with a knife.
- Place the beef fillet slices between cling film and carefully plating (knocking).
- For plating you can use a plating iron or a saucepan.
- For plating carpaccio slices, use only a smooth, non-ribbed plating iron and do not use a schnitzel knocker.
- Leave the thinly beaten meat in the foil until serving.
- You can roll up the foil with the meat slices and put it in the fridge.
- Lightly frozen fillet of beef is easier to cut, the meat can then be cut particularly thin!
The fillet slices can be arranged on the plate and tempered in a few minutes..
3. Salad with carpaccio and decorative tips
The classic carpaccio salad garnish consists of rocket salad. You can also use Lollo Rosso and Lollo Bianco, lamb’s lettuce and frisée lettuce. In spring and summer, garden herbs, cress, sprouts and wild herbs such as chickweed, nasturtium and garden dock are available.
The salad washing I show you in an extra contribution, the salad in any case dry, so that the salad dressing adheres well to the salad.
Decoration tip for carpaccio: Softly boiled quail eggs and tomato cubes!
My article “Preparing tomato cubes” shows you how to prepare tomato cubes easily and successfully!
White or black truffles, finely planed, go perfectly with carpaccio!
4. Salad dressing with carpaccio
For the original Italian carpaccio variant you use a matured balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and olive oil. Gourmets like to complement the dressing with white truffle oil in the recipe below you will find the exact quantities.
5. Vegetarian Carpaccio
More and more people are doing without animal products and want to live healthier lives. Therefore you will find here some ideas for vegetarian carpaccio:
- Carpaccio with mushrooms
- Carpaccio with beetroot
- Carpaccio with fennel
- Carpaccio with courgettes
- Carpaccio with eggplants
You can cut mushrooms and fennel very finely with a kitchen slicer, marinate them raw and put them on the plate.
Cook beetroot until soft, marinate and then arrange.
Zucchini I grill briefly in a grooved pan and bring thereby a better optics and more taste on the plate.
Cut aubergines into thin slices, season with salt, turn in flour (gluten-free too!), fry in oil.
6. Recipe Carpaccio
Below you will find my recipe for Carpaccio with exact quantities. I wish you good luck and a good appetite!
- 200 g beef fillet dressed and parried
- salt For this dish I use Fleur de Sel
- pepper For this dish I use black pepper.
- 4 tsp olive oil
- 4 tbs lemon juice
- 100 g arugula Use Original with arugula or other leaf salads
- 2 tbs Balsamico
- some salt
- some black ground pepper
- 2 tbs tomato cubes See link in article Preparing tomato cubes
- 4 pc quail eggs 3:30 cooking, quenching, halving, peeling
- 50 g Parmesan cheese
- 16 slices truffles Optional! Black or white truffle according to market offer
- 1 tbs white truffle oil Optionally instill before serving
- Have the butcher remove the tendons and skin from the fillet of beef. Wrap the fillet of beef tightly in cling film and freeze. Slice the parmesan finely.
- Cut the frozen fillet of beef into thin slices with a sharp knife or a slicing machine.
- Place the prepared fillet of beef slices between cling film and carefully plate them with a flat plating iron or a style casserole.
- Carefully wrap the plated fillet of beef slices in the foil and keep cold until serving.
- Prepare decoration according to taste and market offer: - Cook the quail eggs for 3:30 minutes, rinse and halve with a bread knife. Peel the quail eggs with a teaspoon and prepare them for serving. - Blanch the tomatoes briefly in boiling water and let them cool down in cold water and peel them. Cut the tomatoes into cubes and prepare them for serving. - Wash leaf salad or rocket salad and spin dry, place in a bowl to marinate.
- Prepare the carpaccio salad dressing: Place the balsamic vinegar in a bowl, season with salt and pepper and slowly stir in the olive oil with a whisk. You can add 1/2 teaspoon mustard sweet or Dijon mustard to your dressing.
- Polish the starter plates with vinegar water, carefully remove the prepared fillet of beef from the foil and arrange on the plates.
- Season the carpaccio with salt and pepper, drizzle with a little olive oil and lemon juice.
- Marinate the salad and arrange in the middle of the carpaccio. Decorate the salads, drizzle with truffle oil, top with Parmesan freshly and serve quickly.
- Surprise your guests: Optionally fresh truffles with velvet gloves at the table, with a truffle slicer on the Carpaccio conjure!
7. Calories Carpaccio, the nutritional values at a glance
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Antipasti Recipes
- Beef Recipes
- Christmas Recipes
- Classics of Good Cuisine Recipes
- Easter Recipes
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes
- Low Carb Recipes
- Low Carb Vegetarian Recipes
- Meat Classics Recipes
- Meat Recipes
- Seasonal Ingredients Recipes
- Starters & Appetizers
- Top Starters Recommendations Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German