Today I show you my recipe Böfflamott or Boeuf à la mode. Boeuf à la mode is the Bavarian variant of the beef braised roast, you can refine the sauce with cognac.
For the preparation I recommend the “flat beef shoulder”, which is also called “shovel bow”. Other suitable pieces of meat for the roast beef are: False fillet, boiled beef, ball and flower or the tail roll. Ask your butcher or simply order the “flat beef shoulder”.
I let the beef mature in a stain for 3-4 days. The stain consists of red wine, root vegetables, red wine vinegar and various spices.
A dry Burgundy is optimal for the Bavarian beef braised roast. The older the wine, the more powerful the sauce becomes. I also prepare the sauce with veal stock.
Now it can start: Many step by step photos will help you cooking. Questions can be answered using the comment function at the bottom of the page. Have fun and good luck!
1. Boeuf à la mode Recipe
Today I serve you my Bavarian beef braised roast with glazed vegetables and spaetzle. You can use bought Spätzle or prepare the Spätzle yourself. Other matching side dishes are:
Potato dumplings, bread dumplings, napkin dumplings, ribbon noodles, mashed potatoes, celery puree, finger noodles, red cabbage, glazed carrots, savoy cabbage, Brussels sprouts, pea vegetables, glazed root vegetables, cranberries, raisins, glazed apple pieces, glazed pear,…
- 1 bunch soup vegetable
- 2 pc clove of garlic
- 2 pc onions
- 0,7 l dry red wine I like to use an 8-10 years old Burgundy
- 0,7 l beef
- 100 ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tbs Dijon-mustard
- 8 pc pepper corns
- 5 pc bay leaf
- 3 pc cloves
- 4 pc allspice grains
- 5 pc juniper berries
- 1 kg flat shoulder of beef shovel bow
- 2 tbs clarified butter
- 2 tbs tomato puree
- 600 ml veal stock
- 1-2 tbs starch Dissolve in 80 ml cold water, then there are no lumps!
- 2 cl Cognac
- Wash, peel and chop the root vegetables and cut the leek into leaves. Peel and prepare the garlic and onions. Boil the chopped vegetables, herbs and aromatics with the garlic in a large pot with red wine, water and red wine vinegar.
- Wash the braised beef and pat dry, then place in the cool stain. Let the meat mature in the fridge for 2-4 days, turning twice a day.
- Remove the beef from the stain and drain.
- Pass the vegetables through a sieve and prepare the staining liquid and vegetables for the preparation of the sauce.
- Preheat oven to 180°C at top and bottom heat. Fry the prepared meat on all sides in a large pan with clarified butter at high heat and let it take on its colour. Remove the fried meat from the pot.
- Pour the drained vegetables from the stain into the hot pot and fry over high heat. Stir well the whole time with a spatula, the vegetables may take on a light brown colour. Add the tomato paste to the roasted vegetables.
- Brown the roasted vegetables with the tomato puree at high heat for about five minutes. The colour changes from red to brown-red. Using a spatula, scrape the roasting substances off the bottom of the pot to produce the desired roasting substances for the taste and colour of the sauce.
- Deglaze the roast with the stain, add the veal stock and add the mixed starch to the sauce. You can later reduce the sauce to the desired consistency. Place the meat in the sauce. Close the pot with a lid, roast in the oven with a lid for 1.5-2 hours until soft
- Check cooking degree of meat by pricking with a meat fork. If the meat gives slightly after the roast beef is ready. Remove the meat from the sauce and prepare extra.
- Drain the sauce through a fine sieve. I use a hair sieve. You could also use a passing cloth, which you boil in water beforehand.
- Add salt, pepper, sugar, butter and cognac to the sauce on the stove to the desired thickness and mix well.
- Cut the meat into slices. I like to prepare the roast one day earlier, cut the cooled meat into even slices. Heat the slices of meat in the sauce before serving. You can try the meat first. If it's not soft enough, simply simmer in the sauce for a few minutes.
- Prepare the side dishes: Cook the spaetzle and toss it in butter, prepare the vegetables and put them on the plate.
- Heat the braised beef in the sauce, arrange the slices of meat on warm plates. Serve the prepared spaetzle and vegetables. Mix the sauce, add and serve. Enjoy your meal!
2. Nutritional Values and Calories
3. Similar Recipes with Beef and BraiseYou can find more suitable recipes on my website... Marinated and braised beef