OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I show you my chef recipe for the Blue Cabbage – Red Cabbage.
Here you find a funny little story from Christiane. She was born in Northern Germany in Hamburg. This is interesting because it contains a funny red cabbage story: At a time when she was a baby, her mom had a neighbour in Hamburg who was completely unexperienced in cooking and who liked to pick up cooking tips from her.
The mum therefore explained the red cabbage preparation to her: red cabbage, apples, onion, lard, cider vinegar, pepper, salt, sugar and allspice, bay leaves and cloves which are called ‘Nelken’ in Germany. The lady, the neighbour cooked it that way – with the ‘Nelken’! But ‘Nelken’ are in Germany also beautiful flowers, i.e. carnations and not only the special spice cloves 😉
So, please take the spice – the cloves! The great recipe for the blue cabbage – red cabbage from me can be found at the end of this page. Please also share this post on Facebook, thank you!
- 1. Blue cabbage – Red cabbage and around it
- 2. Blue Cabbage – Red Cabbage, the Preparation
- 3. Marinating Red Cabbage – the right Way to make Red Cabbage…
- 4. Blue Cabbage – Red Cabbage, the Video with Cooking Instructions
- 5. Blue Cabbage – Red Cabbage, the Recipe
- 6. Calories (kcal) Blue Cabbage - Red Cabbage, the Nutritional Values
- 7. Red Cabbage as a Side Dish with...
1. Blue cabbage – Red cabbage and around it
Red cabbage is the North German designation, red herb is said in Central Germany and also Austria, blue cabbage is said in Southern Germany to this delicious cabbage.
Red cabbage is a classic and typical accompaniment to a festive or Sunday roast, e.g. venison steak. Personally, I hprefer to eat vegetarian food and leave out the animal ingredients when preparing red cabbage. The cabbage in the bourgeois version also tastes great to me with dumplings of all kinds and potatoes. The cabbage is also great raw – in the warm season as a salad or part of a Buddhabowl.
I show you below the classic way of preparation, as it is most beautiful for the Christmas goose. The cabbage is best fresh, but if you want it to go fast, you can also use the red cabbage from the glass or the freezer. Then please add the mentioned herbs and apples/apple compote according to your taste.
2. Blue Cabbage – Red Cabbage, the Preparation
Here we go: As a Bavarian, I call red cabbage a blue cabbage. Below in the video you may watch the preparation from a fresh red cabbage, sorry… blue cabbage.
2.1 Schnibbeln (North German Talk for cut small) – Preday
The red cabbage is finely chopped. You can do this with a sharp big knife – and bend your fingers to the palm of your hand so that you don’t cut yourself! Another option for a fine cut is a slicer or bread slicer ( trick 17 of the smart housewife).
3. Marinating Red Cabbage – the right Way to make Red Cabbage…
Add the vegetable stock to the finely chopped or grated cabbage. Add roughly diced fresh apples or apple sauce, cranberries, white wine, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Afterwards you should mix everything and knead the red cabbage lovingly and strongly.
The marinating of the red cabbage already takes place the day before, with a marinating time overnight. This allows the aromas to develop perfectly in the red cabbage. The cooking time of the red cabbage is at least 2 hours, better somewhat longer (matter of taste: either cabbage with light bite or very creamy cooked).
4. Blue Cabbage – Red Cabbage, the Video with Cooking Instructions
Video Prepare blue cabbage or red cabbage
5. Blue Cabbage – Red Cabbage, the Recipe
- 500 g Red cabbage finely chopped raw
- 100 ml vegetable broth
- 120 g applesauce or fresh apples finely diced
- 3 tbs cranberries sweet cranberry compote from the glass
- 150 ml white wine dry, alternatively red wine plus the new secret ingredient
- 30 ml Balsamico
- 1 pc onion
- 1 pc bay leave place on the onion
- 3 pc cloves stick through bay leaf and onion
- some salt
- Finely chop or plane the red cabbage.
- Mix the finely chopped red cabbage with chicken stock, apple sauce, cranberries, white wine, balsamic vinegar as well as salt and pepper - knead the red cabbage well. This breaks the cell structure of the red cabbage and the spices penetrate wonderfully.
- The prepared red cabbage can now be marinated overnight in a pot in the refrigerator or prepared immediately. Before boiling, add the onion, halved and larded with bay leaf and clove.
- Bring the red cabbage to the boil with the lid on, then simmer lightly for 1.5-2.5 hours with the lid on, if necessary add some vegetable stock.
- Season the red cabbage to taste with salt and pepper and keep it hot for serving.
6. Calories (kcal) Blue Cabbage - Red Cabbage, the Nutritional Values
7. Red Cabbage as a Side Dish with...Red cabbage goes well as a side dish with the following dishes: Knuckle of veal, German Sauerbraten - Marinated Pot Roast, Recipes for Roast Pork and Classic Roast Pork with Red Wine Sauce and Plums, Goose Roast Recipe with great Tutorial, Videos and Side Ideas, all Tips of the Professional Kitchen in One Article, Roulade Recipe – Preparing Beef Roulades, Duck Leg Recipe for the Oven, Kitchen Story with Videos, Fried Duck Breast, duck breast oven, roast duck, venison steak, venison pepper, venison ragout - deer ragout, vegetarian Christmas goose and vegetarian goose roast.
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Christmas Recipes
- Recipes with Cooking Videos from Thomas Sixt
- Vegetables Side Dishes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German