OTHER LANGUAGES: German
Today I’ll show you my Black Salsify Soup recipe. The black salsify as a delicate vegetable in the soup, lightly and finely cooked.
The long, slender black salsify almost fell into oblivion, thanks to “asparagus all year round”.
The white root on the inside and the black root on the outside were popular as asparagus substitutes for a long time. We know the roots as miner’s asparagus and winter asparagus. The season is from October to May.
Now the root has emancipated itself from the real asparagus and can shine with its fine taste in the kitchen and on the table.
I am definitely a fan of black salsify!
Let’s just prepare this healthy retro vegetable now. I’ll show you the steps to the perfect result. Have fun and good luck!
1. Prepare Black Salsify
Before we get into the actual cooking process, we want to gently awaken our black salsify vegetables from their slumber in the ground. I feel like Rübezahl…
How do we get the black root white? Of course, peel it with a peeler. But please make some preparations:
- put on rubber gloves
- prepare a bowl with water plus lemon juice
- peel the black salsifies and put them in the lemon water
Why all this? The black salsify secretes a sticky juice that not only sticks unpleasantly but can also leave your fingers brown for a long time. Both of us don’t want that.
This is not a cooking incantation ceremony! The black salsify sticks, putting on ritual gloves is a remedy!
In addition, the now white peeled black salsify turns brown quickly when exposed to air – i.e. in contact with oxygen. The immersion in lemon water prevents this process and even supports the taste of the tender root through the light fine acidity.
So the root remains white: put lemon juice or ascorbic acid into cold water and put the peeled roots into it.
Black salsify boils well in slightly salty water for about 20 minutes until soft and cooked.
2. Cook black Salsify Soup
After the small excursion first we want to turn to the preparation of soups. The great thing is, you don’t need many ingredients.:
- black salsifies
- dry white wine
- granny vegetable stock
- salt, pepper, nutmeg
- cayenne pepper
- parsley chopped
Optional for soup supplement and inlay:
- truffle oil
- Bavarian meatball / meatball (soft!)
- fish meatball
- semolina dumpling
3. Black Salsify Soup Recipe
Freshly and with love cooked, then our soup comes on your table. With a little more inlay, the root soup becomes a stew. Let’s start with the preparation…
- 500-700 g black salsify
- 1 pc lemon I use an organic lemon
- 3 pc shallots
- 4 tbs Butter
- 20 cl dry white wine
- 800 ml vegetable broth
- 200 ml cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg freshly grounded
- 1 pinch Cayenne pepper
- 1 bunch fresh parley I use finely curled parsley
- 1 tsp truffle oil
- 100 g fresh North Sea crabs
- 2 pc Bavarian meatballs or other meatballs
- 2 pc Fish meatball
- Peel the black salsifies and put on gloves, because the asparagus of the little man is sticky.
- Cut off the ends of the peeled roots generously.
- I always peel the roots twice: once coarsely, before cutting again finely to remove the last black spots.
- Place the peeled black salsifies in lemon water to preserve their white colour.
- Cut part of the roots into 3 mm thick slices at an angle. Our soup is prepared first.
- Steam the vegetables for the soup in butter and a little water until soft. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Place the cooked root vegetables in a bowl until ready to serve.
- Cut the roots for the soup into 1 cm pieces.
- Sweat the vegetables for the soup in a high pot with butter for 8 minutes without color glassy.
- Peel the shallots, cut into fine cubes and add to the vegetables.
- Deglaze vegetables with white wine and vegetable stock and bring to the boil. Cook the vegetables for 10 minutes until soft.
- Slowly pour the cream into the boiling soup and bring to the boil.
- Season the soup with nutmeg, pepper and cayenne pepper.
- Mix the cream soup with a hand blender and let it steep for another 5 minutes at reduced heat.
- Pass the soup through a fine hair sieve.
- Squeeze out the remaining vegetables with a ladle and conjure up the last taste in the soup.
- Pluck the washed and dry-spun parsley finely.
- Finely chop the parsley with a chef's knife.
- Wash the North Sea crabs in a sieve under cold water and dry.
- Heat the prepared soup insert and arrange in warmed soup plates.
- Mix the soup, add some cold butter and froth up. Pour the soup carefully into the plates with foam. Place the crab meat in the soup, add the foam and serve decorated with parsley.
4. Calories (kcal) and Nutritional Values
5. Further Recommendationspreparing black salsifies
black salsify vegetables Matching soups for the season: pumkin soup, fish soup, pea soup, potato soup
- All Recipes by German Chef Thomas Sixt
- Christmas Recipes
- Christmas Soups
- Current and New Recipes
- Quick Meals
- Soups Recipes
- Starters & Appetizers
- Starters Soups Recipes
- Vegetarian Appetizers
- Vegetarian Recipes
- Winter Soups Recipes
OTHER LANGUAGES: German