Now I would like to introduce you to my Béchamel Sauce recipe. This sauce is the basic sauce and all-purpose weapon in the kitchen and belongs with its innumerable variation possibilities to the basics of the art of cooking.
ATTENTION Show-off knowledge:
Louis de Béchamel (1630-1703) is the eponym of the legendary sauce and was the Lord Chamberlain of Louis XIV. However, the history of the basic recipe is not clearly historically documented. The origin can also be derived from the sauce Mornay – developed in the kitchen of Count Philippe de Mornay. The Mornay sauce contains cheese as well as flour and butter.
Both of us don’t care, because whether à la Béchamel or à la Mornay both sauces taste tasty and that’s what matters
I would like to show you step by step how to prepare the classic. The sauce is a great addition to casseroles, soufflés or fillings. The most prominent example is the beloved lasagne.
1. Which Sauce suits your Dish?
I would like to recommend two sauces in particular from the sauces presented: Béchamel and Mornay. In the following table you can quickly see the differences
|Béchamel basic||butter, flour, milk, nutmeg, salt, pepper||lasagne, casseroles, soufflés, fillings|
|Béchamel Thomas Sixt||basic Béchamel-sauce, 3 shallots, white wine, pimento and bay leaf||lasagne, casseroles, soufflés, fillings|
|Mornay-Sauce||basic Béchamel-sauce, 1 egg yolk, 100ml cream, 25g Gruyère, 25g Parmesan, salt and pepper||poached eggs, fish, casseroles|
|Mushroom-Béchamel||basic Béchamel-Sauce, 25g butter, 150 g mushrooms in fine slices, 3 tbs cream, salt and pepper||pasta, veal escalope, poached eggs|
|Mustard-Béchamel||basic Béchamel-sauce, 2 tsp medium hot mustard, 40g butter||fish, poultry, grilled meat|
In casseroles like lasagna I would recommend a béchamel sauce in any case. This makes your casserole very creamy and reduces the acidity of the tomato a little.
Sauce Mornay I very much like to use for fish, meat and vegetable or potato gratins.
2. Prepare classic Béchamel Sauce
My classic white sauce consists of onions or shallots (finer in taste), bay leaf and peppercorns, butter, flour, dry white wine, milk, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
The preparation of my favorite sauce I show you below with many photos.
You can also prepare the light sauce gluten-free. All you have to do is use the “right” flour: The usual flours from the “gluten-free trade” or rice flour, maize flour etc. can be used.
3. Here comes the Recipe
The sauce is prepared quickly and I’ll step aside for you so you can get to work in your kitchen.
I wish you a lot of fun and would be happy to write to me. I always find cooking questions exciting and look forward to answering them!
- 1 tsp oliv oil
- 1 l milk
- 70 g Butter
- 3 pc shallots or a medium-sized onion
- 2 tbs flour sieved
- 1 cl dry white wine
- 1 tsp salt
- some pepper freshly grounded
- some nutmeg freshly grated
- 2 leafs bay leaf
- 2 corns Piment
- Cut a medium-sized onion into small cubes.
- Heat up the pan, then add the onion cubes, butter, bay leaves and allspice and sauté.
- Sweat the onion cubes until translucent and add the flour. Sweat the flour briefly.
- Add the white wine while stirring and bring to the boil.
- Add cold milk while stirring constantly and bring to the boil. Flavour with salt, pepper, nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
- Put some ready-made sauce on a cold plate and check the binding.
- Ready is the perfect sauce, e.g. for lasagne. Enjoy your meal!
4. Calories and nutritional Values to this Dish
5. More Ideas for Cooking by YourselfSauce Recipes
Fondue-Sauces Sauce Hollandaise
Sauce for Duckbreast