Today I would like to introduce you my Recipe for baked fried Asparagus. By baked asparagus I mean as a cook asparagus in a dough coat or breaded asparagus, it is crispy asparagus 🙂
You can use green or white asparagus for this preparation. In this article I will show you how to prepare asparagus in baking pastry and how to prepare asparagus in breadcrumbs.
You can find a recipe for asparagus in the oven (NOT baked) here! I wish you good luck!
1. Buying and preparing Asparagus
The traditional asparagus season in Germany begins in April and ends in June on St John’s Day. St. John’s Day is 24 June and is popularly called Asparagus New Year’s Eve.
Preferably with the shopping native asparagus, this is healthier and has no jetlag.
You can recognize good and fresh asparagus by its appearance: shiny skin, closed heads and no brown spots.
For the baked asparagus, peel the asparagus spears.
Peel asparagus INFO: Peel white asparagus starting about 3 cm below the tips, green asparagus only peel about 5 cm at the end.
2. Baked Asparagus in two Varieties
You can now choose one of two variants of baked asparagus. The first variant is asparagus in the batter, the second variant is asparagus in breadcrumbs.
For both versions, precook the asparagus in salted water. Depending on the thickness, cook the asparagus spears for 4-8 minutes until al dente, then place in cold water and let cool, then dry.
2.1 Asparagus in Batter
I particularly like this variation. Season the pre-cooked asparagus spears with salt and pepper. Turn the asparagus spears in flour, then place in the batter and coat with batter. You can use a wine batter, a beer batter or an Asian baking batter. I’ll show you in the recipe below my simple variant of the batter.
Then bake at 170°C in hot fat.
To bread the asparagus you need flour, eggs, breadcrumbs or breadcrumbs. Season the pre-cooked asparagus spears with salt and pepper. Turn the asparagus spears individually in flour, pull them through the whisked egg, then bread them in the breadcrumbs by gently pressing.
Then bake the breaded asparagus spears in hot fat at 170°C until they float.
3. Cold Sauces for baked Asparagus
Baked asparagus is best served with one or more cold sauces. Here I have prepared two nice variations for you:
3.1 Egg Sauce
You can save the cold sauce with eggs for the entire asparagus season. The egg sauce goes well with baked asparagus, cooked asparagus and fried asparagus.
Prepare Egg Sauce for 4 Persons:
- Boil six eggs hard for 12 minutes.
- Let the eggs cool in cold water, then peel and halve.
- Finely chop the egg whites and yolks separately and put them in a bowl.
- The sauce with freshly cut parsley.
- Mix salt, pepper, some cayenne pepper, capers and olive oil and season to taste.
- Optionally you can add some Dijon mustard and give the sauce a light mustard taste.
3.2 Chives Sauce
You can also vary the chives sauce with other herbs. The base sauce made of cream fraiche and sour cream tastes just as fine with deep-frozen herb mixtures. I prefer fresh herbs…
Chives Sauce for 4 Persons
- Put a cup of sour cream and a cup of cream fraiche in a bowl.
- Then add 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 5 pinches salt, 3 pinches pepper and 1 pinch cayenne pepper.
- Finely chop the chives or other herbs and add to the mixture.
- Mix the sauce and serve.
Optionally, you can add some garlic and a teaspoon of mayonnaise to the chive sauce to make it more spicy.
The baked asparagus also tastes delicious with a homemade hollandaise sauce. My surefire recipe shows you how to prepare this sauce with cooking video instructions step by step.
4. Baked Asparagus Recipe
Here now the detail recipe with all quantity specifications. I wish you good luck!
- 300 g white asparagus
- some salt
- some pepper
- some brown sugar
- some nutmeg grated
- 100 g flour
- 1-2 pc eggs
- 100 g breadcrumbs Please use very finely grated breadcrumbs
- 150 g clarified butter or oil
- 100 g flour
- 1 pc egg
- 80-100 ml milk or prepare as follows with beer or wine:
- beer prepared with beer a beer dough is created
- white wine prepared with white wine, wine dough is formed
- Bring a wide pot suitable for asparagus to the boil with water.
- Peel the asparagus according to the instructions in the article. Season the water with salt, pepper, sugar and nutmeg and cook the asparagus until it is firm to the bite.
- Let the asparagus cool in cold water and dry.
- Variant baking dough: Cover the asparagus spears with flour. Flour extracts the moisture and later provides a crispy coating and sticks the dough. Place the floured asparagus spears on an extra plate and add an egg, salt, pepper and some milk to the remaining flour. Use a whisk to stir in a creamy, not too thick batter. Put plenty of vegetable fat or rapeseed oil in a deep pan or wok. Bake the asparagus spears in very hot fat until golden yellow. You can also use a deep fryer!
- Breading variant: Prepare your breading line: 1st plate flour, 2nd plate whisked egg, 3rd plate breadcrumbs or breadcrumbs. Season the cooked asparagus spears with salt, pepper. Bread the asparagus tips in the following order: flour - egg - breadcrumbs. Then bake the asparagus spears floating in hot fat until crispy light brown.
- In the article you will find ideas for suitable sauces. Let yourself be inspired and enjoy baked asparagus during the asparagus season.