Baked Asparagus, deep-fried Asparagus
from Thomas Sixt
Hi, I am a German Chef and Food Photographer. The imparting of cooking knowledge is my great passion. Everyone can cook for himself and with this website I would like to contribute to its success. Cooking questions I answer you gladly at the end of the articles. Have fun and good luck!
Table of Contents
1. Buying and preparing AsparagusThe traditional asparagus season in Germany begins in April and ends in June on St John’s Day. St. John’s Day is 24 June and is popularly called Asparagus New Year’s Eve. Preferably with the shopping native asparagus, this is healthier and has no jetlag.
You can recognize good and fresh asparagus by its appearance: shiny skin, closed heads and no brown spots.Asparagus fresh, the ends should not be dried. For the baked asparagus, peel the asparagus spears.
Peel asparagus INFO: Peel white asparagus starting about 3 cm below the tips, green asparagus only peel about 5 cm at the end.Grasp the tip of the asparagus spear with your fingers. Place the asparagus spear over your hand on your wrist. Turn the asparagus spear and use the pendulum peeler to remove the peel evenly. This way you can peel the asparagus safely and the spear will NOT break! Asparagus peeling made easy: Use a sharp pendulum peeler.
2. Baked Asparagus in two VarietiesYou can now choose one of two variants of baked asparagus. The first variant is asparagus in the batter, the second variant is asparagus in breadcrumbs. For both versions, precook the asparagus in salted water. Depending on the thickness, cook the asparagus spears for 4-8 minutes until al dente, then place in cold water and let cool, then dry.
2.1 Asparagus in BatterI particularly like this variation. Season the pre-cooked asparagus spears with salt and pepper. Turn the asparagus spears in flour, then place in the batter and coat with batter. You can use a wine batter, a beer batter or an Asian baking batter. I’ll show you in the recipe below my simple variant of the batter. Then bake at 170°C in hot fat. Baking dough at best without lumps, you can also prepare baking dough with gluten-free flour!
Bread AsparagusTo bread the asparagus you need flour, eggs, breadcrumbs or breadcrumbs. Season the pre-cooked asparagus spears with salt and pepper. Turn the asparagus spears individually in flour, pull them through the whisked egg, then bread them in the breadcrumbs by gently pressing. Then bake the breaded asparagus spears in hot fat at 170°C until they float. You can mix the breadcrumbs with some thyme and give the asparagus spears a great aroma!
3. Cold Sauces for baked AsparagusBaked asparagus is best served with one or more cold sauces. Here I have prepared two nice variations for you:
3.1 Egg SauceYou can save the cold sauce with eggs for the entire asparagus season. The egg sauce goes well with baked asparagus, cooked asparagus and fried asparagus. Prepare Egg Sauce for 4 Persons:
- Boil six eggs hard for 12 minutes.
- Let the eggs cool in cold water, then peel and halve.
- Finely chop the egg whites and yolks separately and put them in a bowl.
- The sauce with freshly cut parsley.
- Mix salt, pepper, some cayenne pepper, capers and olive oil and season to taste.
- Optionally you can add some Dijon mustard and give the sauce a light mustard taste.
3.2 Chives SauceYou can also vary the chives sauce with other herbs. The base sauce made of cream fraiche and sour cream tastes just as fine with deep-frozen herb mixtures. I prefer fresh herbs… Chives Sauce for 4 Persons
- Put a cup of sour cream and a cup of cream fraiche in a bowl.
- Then add 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 5 pinches salt, 3 pinches pepper and 1 pinch cayenne pepper.
- Finely chop the chives or other herbs and add to the mixture.
- Mix the sauce and serve.
4. Baked Asparagus RecipeHere now the detail recipe with all quantity specifications. I wish you good luck!
Baked fried Asparagus
Baked asparagus, recipe for asparagus in batter or asparagus breaded with step by step instructions and many tips from chef Thomas Sixt.
Asparagus fried the Ingredients:
|100||g||breadcrumbs (Please use very finely grated breadcrumbs)|
|150||g||clarified butter or oil|
Asparagus in the Batter the Ingredients for Wine or Beer Dough
|80-100||ml||Milk (or prepare as follows with beer or wine:)|
|beer (prepared with beer a beer dough is created)|
|white wine (prepared with white wine, wine dough is formed)|
Bring a wide pot suitable for asparagus to the boil with water.
Peel the asparagus according to the instructions in the article. Season the water with salt, pepper, sugar and nutmeg and cook the asparagus until it is firm to the bite.
Let the asparagus cool in cold water and dry.
Variant baking dough:
Cover the asparagus spears with flour. Flour extracts the moisture and later provides a crispy coating and sticks the dough.
Place the floured asparagus spears on an extra plate and add an egg, salt, pepper and some milk to the remaining flour.
Use a whisk to stir in a creamy, not too thick batter.
Put plenty of vegetable fat or rapeseed oil in a deep pan or wok. Bake the asparagus spears in very hot fat until golden yellow. You can also use a deep fryer!
Prepare your breading line: 1st plate flour, 2nd plate whisked egg, 3rd plate breadcrumbs or breadcrumbs.
Season the cooked asparagus spears with salt, pepper.
Bread the asparagus tips in the following order: flour – egg – breadcrumbs.
Then bake the asparagus spears floating in hot fat until crispy light brown.
In the article you will find ideas for suitable sauces. Let yourself be inspired and enjoy baked asparagus during the asparagus season.