In this article, I introduce you to preparing asparagus sous vide. With this method, the seasonal vegetables are gently vacuum-cooked in a small bag at a temperature of 85°C in a water bath. For this you need a sous vide cooker and a vacuum sealer.
I will introduce you to alternative preparation methods with similar flavour output a little later in the article.
The step-by-step photos will guide you to the perfect asparagus dish. Feel free to write me a success story, a cooking question or 🙂 Kitchen gossip!
1. Shopping List for Asparagus Sous Vide
Here is the handy list for your shopping.
- Asparagus white –> We bought German asparagus at the weekly market.
- Butter –> From the usual department in the supermarket
- Heurige potatoes –> Also available from the friendly greengrocer
- Wild garlic –> Collect it or buy it in season from the grocer
- Salt, pepper, sugar, nutmeg, cayenne pepper –> I have in the spice rack
- Vegetable oil –> A good olive oil or neutral sunflower oil
You can also prepare this dish with green asparagus. The cooking time will then be slightly shorter.
Sous vide cooking works with white and green asparagus.Chef Thomas Sixt on Cooking Asparagus
2. Recipe Asparagus Sous Vide
Get inspired now and check out the instructions with step-by-step photos. If you have any questions, please use the comment function at the bottom of the page!
- 1 kg Asparagus I use white or green asparagus
- 60 g Butter
- 1/4 bunch Herbs Wild garlic or thyme
- 15 pc Potatoes I use young potatoes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 4-6 pinches Pepper black, ground
- 1 tsp. Sunflower oil
- 8 tbsp. Wild garlic pesto
- 250 g butter
- Prepare the sous vide appliance at 85° C.
- Briefly rinse the asparagus and dry it.
- Peel the asparagus, the picture shows the place from where you peel the asparagus spears.
- Place peeled asparagus spears and asparagus separately.
- Cut off the ends of the asparagus.
- Place the asparagus trimmings and asparagus peelings for asparagus soup in a pot.
- Season the peeled asparagus spears with salt, pepper, nutmeg and a little sugar.
- Place the asparagus spears flat in a vacuum bag.
- Add the slices of butter to the asparagus.
- Optionally add thyme or wild garlic to the asparagus.
- Vacuum seal the asparagus in the bag.
- Place the asparagus in the vacuum bag in the sous vide cooker and set the alarm for 50 minutes. Temperature 85°C
- Prepare the potatoes for washing.
- Wash the potatoes with a brush and cold running water. Then boil them in a pot with water and salt until soft.
- Carefully drain the softly cooked potatoes, let them steam off and prepare them peeled or unpeeled for serving.
- Heat the butter in a saucepan, simmer, brown and strain through a fine sieve. Serve as a fine butter sauce with the asparagus.
- Prepare the wild garlic pesto according to the instructions and serve with the asparagus.
- Briefly fry the wild garlic leaves in oil, then lay them on kitchen paper and season with salt.
- Remove the asparagus in the bag from the sous vide machine. Cut open the bag and prepare the asparagus for serving.
- Arrange the potatoes, asparagus and wild garlic pesto on plates and serve sprinkled with herb chips.
3. Calories and Nutritional Values
4. Alternative Cooking Methods to Sous Vide
You can steam the Asparagus over boiling water. The taste output is similar. Alternatively, you can prepare them in aluminium foil or baking paper. I show you this variant in the asparagus in the oven.
5. Helpful Tips about Asparagus and Sous Vide
Diced tomatoes as decoration –> Cooking school on Skinning and Peeling tomatoes.
Preparing asparagus –> Cooking school how to peel asparagus.
Preparing asparagus –> Frequently asked questions about cooking asparagus.
Asparagus soup –> Frequently asked questions about cooking asparagus soup.
Sous Vide –> Helpful article on vacuum cooking on Wikipedia.