Washing Salad, Step by Step Instructions and Cooking School
from Thomas Sixt
Hi, I am a German Chef and Food Photographer. The imparting of cooking knowledge is my great passion. Everyone can cook for himself and with this website I would like to contribute to its success. Cooking questions I answer you gladly at the end of the articles. Have fun and good luck!
1. Clean and Wash the Lettuce properly, the ManualLeaf salads Detach leaf by leaf from head, pluck bite-sized, quickly wash in plenty of cold water. This preserves the water-soluble vitamins and removes the dirt at the same time. After washing, the lettuce must be dried and centrifuged. Special treatment is required for particularly fine lettuce such as lamb’s lettuce. There is also the article Washing lamb’s lettuce.
2. Step by Step Instructions Cleaning and Washing LettuceLeaf salads should always be washed briefly and quickly to remove dirt and still retain the water-soluble vitamins in the salad.
3. Cut or Puck Lettuce?The lettuce leaves should be plucked if the lettuce is not prepared immediately. Plucked lettuce does not brown as quickly as cut lettuce at the breaking points. So if you prepare lettuce and keep it in the fridge, plucking lettuce is the first choice.
4. Wash Lettuce with Salt?Washing lettuces in salt is not necessary, if lettuces are very dirty they should be washed several times in fresh water.
5. Lettuce Wash warm Water?Warm water to wash salad is the exception. Very bitter lettuce varieties such as chicory and endive can be washed hot for a short time to wash out the bitter substances. The disadvantage is that water-soluble vitamins dissolve very quickly in warm water and the salad is washed empty. The advantage is that bitter lettuce varieties lose their bitter taste when washed and leave in warm water (approx. 5 minutes). Therefore, washing in warm water, taken over from traditional cooking, is very often practiced. It is important to place the salad in cold water after the warm water so that it regains its crispness.
6. The Rule is: Lettuce is washed in cold Water!Pluck lettuce and wash it quite quickly in cold water, change the water several times if it is very dirty. The process should be completed in a maximum of 10 minutes.
7. Wilted salad is refreshed with ice cubesIf the lettuce has withered and lost strength, adding ice cubes will help. After approx. 5 minutes in ice water, the salad is nicely fresh again and can be processed further.
8. How to dry washed SaladThe washed salad is put into the salad spinner, the water can drain off. The dry leaf salad can absorb the salad dressing. Salad in the salad spinner to dry Now spin the lettuce dry with the salad spinner.
Leaf salad must always be drained or spun, as only the dry salad will adhere to the salad dressing!