How to Boil Eggs – soft, waxy and hard.
from Thomas Sixt
Hi, I am a German Chef and Food Photographer. The imparting of cooking knowledge is my great passion. Everyone can cook for himself and with this website I would like to contribute to its success. Cooking questions I answer you gladly at the end of the articles. Have fun and good luck!
Today we will deal with question how to boil eggs. Boiled breakfast eggs and eggs for snacks you can cook soft, waxy or hard. Everyone has their own ideas here :-).
In addition to egg cooking instructions from the professional kitchen, you will find many ideas for serving eggs for breakfast, brunch and Easter.
Please take some time, I promise you exciting insights and wonderful pictures as an inspiring basis for plundering the egg nest… Have fun!
1. Chefs Ideas for How to Boil Eggs
If you stand in front of an egg shelf in the supermarket, you can have a real crisis… The modern industrial egg comes in different sizes.
Weight classes chicken eggs:
Demeter writes on its packaging: 6 eggs of different sizes. I’m glad, these hens were allowed to lay eggs of different sizes, I appreciate!
Tip from the chef: Organic eggs taste better and make chickens happy!Ingredients tip from chef Thomas Sixt
2. The Step by Step Instructions for Boil Eggs
- For cooking, please use eggs without cracks in the shell. A damaged shell is not good, it allows the egg white to escape during cooking.
- How can you tell if your eggs are in perfect condition? Here is the test: Carefully tap two eggs against each other. However, the visual test for the intact shell is usually sufficient.
- Refrigerated eggs should be placed in lukewarm water for at least 10 minutes. This way, the temperature increase reduces the risk of cracking of the shell. By the way, piercing the shell is not a variant with 100% guarantee of success.
- Boil water in a pot, put the eggs, they should be covered with water.
- Cook until desired doneness.
- Remove the eggs, quench under cold running water for 3 seconds.
- Serve and enjoy.
The eggs must always be covered with water when cooking for a good result!
3. How long to boil eggs
Before we approach the subject scientifically a brief overview, valid for a chicken egg size M coming out of the refrigerator:
Soft boiled eggs have a cooking time of about 5-6 minutesEgg cooking tip from chef Thomas Sixt
Wax-soft boiled eggs have a cooking time of about 7-8 minutes
Hard boiled eggs have a cooking time of about 10-12 minutes
After cooking, please rinse the eggs under cold water, this is the only way to interrupt the cooking process!Tipp from Chef Thomas Sixt
4. Boil Eggs Time Table
|egg size/cooking condition at 250 m above sea level||very smooth||waxy||hard|
5. Ideas for Serving Boiled Eggs
Brunch eggs, Easter eggs, Andereeier here I have you some very popular variants for the preparation supplemented. Use the following pictures as an idea spinner for your breakfast table and let yourself inspire…
Serve boiled eggs in a jar
Eggs in a jar are a wonderful option for serving and arranging cooked eggs. It’s very simple to do:
- Provide room warm eggs for cooking
- Place refrigerator eggs in lukewarm water for 10 minutes
- Boil water
- Insert eggs and cook for 5-7 minutes as desired
- Rinse eggs in cold water and then peel them lying down in a bowl of cold water or under running water.
- Arrange eggs and decorate to taste with chives, pesto, caviar, sprouts and serve
Ideas for eggs in glass
6. Frequently Asked Questions About Boil Eggs
How to cook hard boiled eggs in the pot?
For hard boiled eggs, you can place the eggs in cold water, bring to a boil and cook for 12 minutes from the time of cooking. Eggs then rinse and peel.
How to boil soft eggs?
Place the room-warm eggs directly into boiling water and cook for about 6 minutes. Then quench and serve. Cooking times of less than 6 minutes only affect S size eggs, larger eggs will be very soft. Refrigerated eggs should be placed in lukewarm water for at least 10 minutes before cooking to ensure that the shell remains intact.
How to cook waxy eggs?
Refrigerator Place eggs in lukewarm water for 10 minutes, then cook in boiling water for 7-8 minutes. The cooking time is for eggs size M